Another great recipe from CSA member Becca!
This is a great recipe for someone who doesn’t love kale—my two year old didn’t even know it was there!
For the sauce:
-8-10 tomatillos, shucked and quartered (or halved if small)
-1/2 red onion, sliced
-2 cloves garlic, smashed
-1-2 jalepenos, seeded and halved
-splash of lime juice
-dash of honey
For the filling:
-1 packed cup cooked, shredded chicken
-1/2 bunch kale leaves, chopped small
-1/2 red onion, diced
-1 cup goat cheese or similar creamy cheese
-generous cup grated jack cheese
-Corn tortillas for wrapping
-Additional jack cheese for topping
To make the sauce:
– Heat a little olive oil in a sauce pan. Add all of the sauce ingredients except the lime, cilantro, and honey. Cook until veggies are quite soft. Remove from heat.
– Puree sauce mixture in a blender. Add the cilantro, lime, and honey to taste. If necessary, thin it out a bit with some water. (Sauce may be a bit spicy on its own, but filling is very mild, so they balance)
To make the filling:
– Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the kale and blanch for several minutes until it turns dark green (not the bright green it turns at first). Drain
– Heat a little cooking oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until soft. Add the kale and cook together, adding water as necessary to prevent burning, until kale is very soft and all bitterness is gone. Add cumin and salt to taste. Stir in the chicken. Remove from heat and stir in the two cheeses to combine (don’t worry about melting the jack—it will melt in the oven).
– Coat the bottom of a large baking dish with sauce.
– Fill each tortilla with a very generous helping of filling and wrap. Place seam-side down in the baking dish.
– Top with additional sauce and grated cheese.
– Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbling, approximately 20 minutes.