- 1-2 cups tomato sauce homemade or purchased
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp basil dried
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 large Eggplants
- 1 cup mozzerella cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Put the egg and water into a small bowl and beat til well mixed and set aside. Slice eggplants into 8-12 slices total (depending on size of eggplant).
- Mix together almond flour, basil, oregano and garlic powder, and spread this mix onto a large flat plate. Sparingly sprinkle parmesan cheese, sea salt and fresh ground pepper across the plate and mix it in with the flour mix. This will be the ‘breading’
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil. Dip eggplant slice into the egg and let the extra egg drip back into the bowl. Next, place the eggplant slice into the breading mixture, covering both sides, and then place slice into frying pan.
- Only fry as many slices as your skillet can handle at a time. Fry slices only until the breading slightly browns and turn over once, giving about 3 minutes per side. Transfer slice to a plate with a paper towel on it. Add oil before putting the next batch of slices in. Also, keep a fan/vent on – this can get a little smokey.
- In a casserole/baking dish, cover the bottom with a thin layer of tomato sauce. Put half of the eggplant slices into the dish, spoon tomato sauce onto each slice, and sprinkle some shredded mozzerella on each slice. Stack the rest of the eggplant slices on top of these slices and cover with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Pop into the oven until eggplant is tender and cheese is melted – about 15 minutes.