Many gardeners have a patch of rhubarb; quietly growing those elephantine leaves and thick red stalks. You’ll also see those stalks showing up now at farm stands. This sauce is dead simple, tart and sweet, and delicious warm or cold.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup water
3 stalks (about 1 lb) rhubarb, scrubbed and cut in to 1-inch segments.
1/3 cup Truvia baking blend (a low sugar, stevia based sweetener), or equivalent
Heat the water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Place the rhubarb in a large bowl, pour the sugar over, and mix. Scrape into the saucepan and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until rhubarb pieces are completely soft and the mixture is more like a thick liquid.
Important* – The stalks are edible, the leaves are not – they are toxic!
Ideas for use:
- Ladle warm rhubarb sauce over vanilla ice cream, and all is right with the world
- Serve in bowls with a little bit of cream stirred in.
- Add a little rhubarb sauce to your favorite muffin mix for a delicious sweet/tart/moist kick.
- For bread bakers, a little rhubarb sauce adds great flavor and promotes a terrific rise
- Rhubarb is also the perfect match for strawberries in Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – stay tuned!